Rated 5 out of
Great headphones at a great price.
These headphones preform magnificently, the soundstaging is unmatched by anything even close to the price, the highs feel refined, and the base is powerful and provides a good impact without becoming too boomy. Vocals are very accurately reproduced, and the open back design makes you feel like you are sitting in the studio with your favorite bands. Unlike similarly preforming headphones, these require no external amping, but do benefit from it, especially with a warm tube amp. These headphones are very comfortable and well built without being too heavy, and a good majority of the construction is metal. The headband is very comfortable and can stretch to fit very large heads like mine. The plush pads are unconventional, but are very comfortable and make you feel like a king with a cushy crown. The included cable is nice and thick, but it produces some micro-phonics, so I would suggest investing in a sheathed cable. The headband does create and audible creak when you are re-adjusting it, but if you leave it alone you will not notice it. Because these are open backed headphones, you will want to refrain from wearing them outside where sounds can get in, or in a situation where people could become annoyed by the sounds leaking from the back of the headphones. Also, unlike the first model, the X1, the pads are replaceable which is very convenient.
Date published: 2015-07-10
Rated 5 out of
Oh my god. For this price I don't know how so much quality sound is just oosing outa these cans, they sound fantastic & are built like a brick out house. There is a bit of discomfort @ first due to clamping force & the angle they sit at( little extra pressure on your upper jaw. However, once you become acclimated to the fit ( about 10 to 15 minutes) they become invisible & poor pleasure into your ears. FANTASTIC CANS. Well done Philips!!!...
Date published: 2015-07-18
Rated 5 out of
With its second iteration of the Fidelio X series Philips have further refined the model and proven that they are serious in their quest to melt the hearts of music lovers.
Frequency response: 5-40,000 Hz
Impedance: 30 Ohm
Sensitivity: 100 dB @ 1mW
Speaker diameter: 50 mm
Acoustic system: Open
Cable: 3 m, detachable
1. These are among of the best-sounding headphones that I have owned. Being of the open type Philips X2 offer a sweet combination of spacial sound, warmth and surprisingly articulate bass. It is difficult not to fall in love with them.
2. They are extremely comfortable, because they sit around the years (as opposed to pressing on them). Your ears will not heat up in the open cups even in warm weather.
3. They are built like a tank: headband and cups are made of steel and it is difficult to imagine that they could break, when bumped or dropped, or fall apart on their own with the passing of time (See picture 1 below).
4. Detachable oxygen-free high-quality braided cable upgraded from the X1 model. No proprietary connections means that you could buy your own cable, if you wish.
5. With their low impedance of just 30 Ohm and sensitivity of 100 dB @ 1mW Fidelio X2 are easily driven even by a smartphone.
6. Memory foam cushions, wrapped in soft black velour (See picture 2 below). Since the outer material is not faux leather, it will not start flaking off 12 months after the purchase. Moreover, the cushions are removable which means that you can clean or exchange them.
1. At 380 g Fidelio X2 are not exactly light, so using steel has its drawbacks. However, for me personally, solid construction is more important than weight. Sony MDR 1A for example are as light as a feather, but they are still uncomfortable to wear over long periods of time, they sometimes make creaking sounds and your ears will get sweaty. This needs to be considered carefully.
2. Fidelio X2 are enormous (height: 23 cm, width: 20 cm) and do not fold. For the price, Philips should have included a hard case or a soft pouch in the package. Since the headphones are so big, you may find out that they do not fit in your desk drawer. To make matters worse, it is very difficult to find a headphone case (from any manufacturer) that they can fit in. I had to make my own soft pouch in the end! (See picture 4 below). The front and back are made of felt (you can buy some from a store selling fabric) and the brown sides are actually cut from a woman’s purse, so it is not difficult or expensive to put together!
3. Because of the fact that X2 are of the open type (the cups are in essence made of metal mesh, not solid material – see picture 1 below) everyone in the room will know what you are listening to. It is a bit like having small-size speakers attached to your head! Therefore, these are not suitable for the office or even the living room if your family members are easily disturbed.
4. Because of their size, weight, the fact that they do not fold, the 3 m cable, the open cups and the type of materials used Fidelio X2 are clearly not engineered with road warriors in mind. Exposing them to wind, rain and dust will not necessarily break them, but it would ruin them nevertheless.
5. Aesthetic considerations: Although the headband is covered in real leather, the latter looks more like plastic (See picture 3 below). The soft velour used as outer layer of the cushions is a magnet for dust (See picture 2 below). The cups are made of metal, but the edges do not meet perfectly (See picture 1 below).
6. There have been multiple reports of quality issues: dulled sound, glued cushions, the problem with metal edges mentioned above. Apparently, production of X2 has been entrusted to several producers some of which are not up to the task. The pair reviewed here has been made by WOOX Innovations Netherlands B. V. and is not affected by sound reproduction problems or the glued cushions gate, hence the five-star rating.
1. Fidelio X2 are probably the best sounding and most comfortable headphones in this price range. There are more expensive and arguably, better sounding headphones on the market, but those are usually priced exuberantly and require amplification.
2. I have never held a sturdier pair of headphones in my hands. Real steel in the headband and cups, real leather in the headband, no corner cutting.
3. They cost a considerable amount of money. I had to think long and hard before buying them. That said, they are actually cheaper than premium headphones of comparable quality.
Date published: 2016-02-25
Rated 5 out of
Wonderful sound and Great cost performance!
All sound are very natural and clear.
I can enjoy Music itself!
Also Very good price!
Date published: 2015-01-13
Rated 1 out of
Best Sound, Worst Quality Control
Amazing sound. Clear, accurate, deep, warm, and a little bassy. Highs are there, but the warmness and soundstage is it's strength.
The quality control of these headphones is very poor. The earpads on some batches are glued to the pad attachment pins. This is a mistake, as the pads are designed to hold to the earpiece via friction, so the glue is unnecessary, and is destructive to the plastic and earpad. This makes 3rd party replacement pads a less viable alternative, as the headphone is compromised (not to mention that this Philips should already offer a replacement pad for these headphones anyway -- it's a money maker for them, and investment protection for the end user).
Additionally, there is a thin metal ring that is glued onto the earcup, resting next to the earpad. This metal piece can come unglued on some batches of this headphone. Also, the pads may or may not leech dye onto delicate surfaces, such as paper, desks, and even human skin. Not cool.
If you buy this phone, keep in mind the shortcoming of the manufacture. The sound is there, the quality control isn't.
Date published: 2015-12-17
Rated 5 out of
This product cannot be beaten for comfort and for the sound quality
Date published: 2015-12-22
Rated 5 out of
Great Full bodied sound with great sound stage .Fantastic audio detail and separation . Very comfortable great for long listening periods .Great quality very robust and well made great attention to detail .Feel heavy off head due to build quality but the built in self adjusting band eliminates any pressure/weight on head whilst in use .Bought these after I purchased and was very pleased with the Philips M1MK11BK for portable use I thought these had to be good and I was right they are like the latter big brother all grown up ! Extremely pleased .
Date published: 2014-12-30
Rated 4 out of
Wonderful with a couple of caveats
These are really lovely sounding headphones. Warm bass with clarity and a smooth treble that isn't over sibilant. Comfortable - they are certainly comfortable, not tight on the head, but I've been used to some older high quality headphones which somehow sat perfectly in place with almost no grip on the head. They aren't vice-like by any means. In fact I can't find any replacements at this level with the same super relaxed head-feel as my last pair.
Sound wise - wonderful.
The two caveats - #1 only one, long, cable. I'd much prefer a second coiled cable as supplied with some competitors. The replacement 3rd party coiled cables available online are too tightly coiled to move around freely. Headphone coiled cables are much freer and don't leave 2m of cable on the floor or bundled up in the weird cable clip provided - better than nothing I suppose.
#2 the 3.5 to 6.2 adapter isn't threaded and moreover isn't a very snug fit. So plugging/unplugging from my 6.2 mm headphone socket usually involves a bit of fiddling. Not sure why a screw threaded adapter wasn't included in headphones at this price point. If you only use 3.5mm, you can ignore this, of course!
Date published: 2018-05-15