This dish comprises slow-cooked lamb, moreish gravy and a tasty potato salad. And, while peeling 20 cloves of garlic might be a little fiddly, it’s well worth the effort.
Servings 6, Preparation time 30 minutes, Cooking time: 8 hour slow cooking (low) or 4 hours slow cooking (high)
- Slow-cooked lamb
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 rashers bacon, roughly chopped
- 1.5kg lamb shoulder
- 20 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cups (500ml) beef stock, salt-reduced
- 2 tbsp plain flour, plus 1 tbsp gravy powder
- Lemony Potato Salad
- 1.2kg medium-size chat potatoes
- ⅓ cup (80ml) olive oil
- Finely grated zest of 1 large lemon
- Juice of 2 large lemons
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- 1. To make the Lemony Potato Salad: Place rack in inner pot. Cut potatoes into 4cm pieces and arrange on the rack, add 1 cup water to the pot. Close lid, select STEAM program in PRESSURE COOKING and press START.
- 2. When cooking is complete turn pressure regulator to VENT to allow the pressure to release. Remove lid. Transfer cooked potatoes to a large bowl. Combine the olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, Dijon mustard and brown sugar in a screw top jar, shake until well combined. Pour over the hot potatoes, add half the chives and season to taste with salt and white pepper. Mix to combine, top with remaining chives. Cover and chill until required.
- 3. Wipe out the inner pot. Press SAUTÉ/SEAR HIGH TEMP button, set cooking time for 5 minutes and press START, do not close the lid. Place oil, onion and bacon into the inner pot, cook until onion is tender. Stir occasionally during cooking.
- 4. Cut small incisions into the lamb. Cut two cloves of garlic into slithers, and use with some of the rosemary to fill the cuts. Smear mustard over the lamb. Transfer to the pot.
- 5. Add all the remaining garlic, remaining rosemary and stock. Close lid, cook on SLOW COOK LOW TEMP for 8 hours or SLOW COOK HIGH TEMP for 4 hours. Press START.
- 6. When cooking is complete turn pressure regulator to VENT to allow the pressure to release. Remove lid. Remove the lamb, cover with foil. Set aside to rest for 20 minutes. Ladle the liquid from the pot, strain the mixture, pushing the garlic through the sieve with the back of a spoon.
- 7. Pour the liquid into a tall jug and allow the fat to rise to the surface. Skim off 3 tablespoons of fat and add to the inner pot. Discard any remaining fat, reserving the cooking liquid. Press SAUTÉ/SEAR HIGH TEMP button, set cooking time for 10 minutes and press START, do not close the lid. Add the flour and gravy powder, mixing with a silicone whisk. Gradually whisk in 3 cups of the reserved liquid. Bring the mixture to simmering point. Simmer until gravy reduces and thickens. Season to taste with white pepper. Serve lamb shoulder with gravy and prepared Lemony Potato Salad.
- Chef’s tip: Pressure Cook: Set valve to “Seal” position. Sauté: Do not close the lid during sauté. Slow Cook: Set valve to “Seal” position.