My skin is irritated after using my Philips Satin Lady Shaver
Updated on 2022-03-31
If your skin feels itchy or red after using your Philips Lady Shaver, try our tips below to solve this issue yourself.
Check the shaving head
- A dirty or damaged shaving head can be harmful to your skin. Always check your shaving or trimming head before use to make sure that it is clean, in good condition and not damaged or worn out. A damaged shaving head will cause declining product performance or even skin irritation. Protect the foil by attaching a cap or comb during storage. If it is damaged order a replacement immediately from our website or contact us for further support.
Use the shaver on clean skin
- Using your Philips Lady Shaver on dirty or oily skin may cause irritation. Make sure that your skin is clean, dry and free from grease before shaving.
Use on permitted areas
- The Philips Lady Shaver is intended to shave hair in the bikini area, legs and underarms.
Only use it in intimate areas (the outside and inside of the outer labia) with the trimming comb attached to the shaving head. We do not recommend using it on your face.
Please refer to the use manual for detailed instructions on how to safely use your Lady Shaver.
Use the right shaving techniques
- It is very important to use the proper shaving technique to get the best results and to avoid irritation. While shaving, tightly pull your skin with one hand and slowly move the shaver against the direction of hair growth. Make sure that your shaving or trimming head is in full contact and flat on the skin. Do not press it too firmly on your skin, be gentle and move the shaver slowly.
Allow adjustment time and pre-treat skin
- When you have not used your shaver for a while, it is normal that some skin irritation occurs. Also, the skin in sensitive areas can react. Your skin may need to readjust to the shaving process. Allow your skin some adjustment time. Try shaving before going to bed so that your skin has time to rest overnight.
•Clean your skin before your start.
• We advise that you exfoliate your skin 1 day before shaving to remove the dead skin around your hair follicles and make it easier to remove hair.
• Try to avoid "over-doing" an area. So, do not go over the same spot too many times.
• Do not rub your skin dry after cleaning; pat it dry instead.
Use a clean shaving foil
- Always check the head of your Lady Shaver to make sure that it is clean before you use it. If it is not clean, make sure that you clean it. Turn off the product and remove the comb if it was attached. Rinse the comb with water. Pull the shaving foil out of the shaver head and rinse the shaving foil unit with lukewarm running tap water. Shake off the excess water and completely air-dry the shaving foil head before attaching it back to its body. For detailed cleaning instructions for your particular Lady Shaver model, refer to your user manual.
Also, make sure that your skin is clean and dry before shaving.
Is it safe to use a shaving foil on my entire body?
- If you are curious about how safe it is to use a shaving foil on your body, please see the information below.
All Philips products consisting of a shaving foil are skin friendly. Philips is not a dermatological authority and cannot give skin, hair or nail advice on individual cases.
Before using a Philips product with a shaving foil, it is good practice to visually check the device to ensure that the shaving foil is still intact. Replace the foil immediately when it is damaged, via our webshop or your local Consumer Care.
You can use the shaving foil to trim and shave your body hair below the neckline, for example armpits, arms, legs and pubic area (with a trimming comb). We do not recommend using it on your face or head because you will not get desired results and it may also damage your skin.
Some products come with additional attachments to use on sensitive areas, like your pubic region. You can find more information about using these attachments this in your user manual or you can contact us.
If you are still unsure about using Philips devices with a shaving foil, please consult your doctor or healthcare professional who can examine whether your skin is suitable for this type of hair removal device.
- If you are a first-time user or have very sensitive skin, a little bit of irritation is possible and nothing to worry about. This goes away with time. We recommend applying a mild and alcohol-free moisturising cream after shaving. If the irritation lasts longer than 3 days, then please consult your doctor.